Sunday, November 3, 2013

HK Song Spotlight: 你是我的日與夜 (You Are My Day and Night) by 馬浚偉 (Steven Ma)

Credit: baike.soso.com

I usually associate Hong Kong entertainer Steven Ma 馬浚偉 with being a leading television actor in the Hong Kong entertainment industry so when I saw his 2002 greatest hits CD, titled, “Greatest Hits Steven(新曲+好精選)” ( Greatest Hits Steven - New Songs + Special Selection) , I was puzzled. Upon my quick research, Steven actually debut as a singer with a record deal in 1993 after winning first place in a singing contest. Shortly afterwards, he took on acting roles, which led to his stardom. Unfortunately, his record label mislabeled him with the label, “He’s not Leon Lai. He’s not Jacky Cheung.” and the public was offended by it. After the backlash, Steven was dropped from his label, but he has since moved on from that experience.

Another interesting fact about Steven: he was extremely depressed after his mother’s death in 1999 and remained in his bedroom to cope with the loss of his mother. Eventually, Steven learned how to heal his pain and set up a publishing company in 2002 where he published a few books about suicide, loss, and depression. Since I remember Steven by his cheerful and goofy roles, I never knew he had such a depressing side to him.

On a lighter note, I picked Steven’s best song off of his greatest hits album and the song is also originally part of his 1998 album, Day Night. The featured song, “你是我的日與夜 (You Are My Day and Night),” ranked up to #3 in the music charts: 903, RTHK, 997, and TVB. Since Steven released the song before his mother passed away, I wonder if he was thinking of his mother when he is singing this song even though this song is meant to be romantic. This song is especially romantic for those who believe in reincarnation since the lyrics mention it.

The music itself is soothing to listen to and I think it’s a stress reliever. I find Steven’s other songs to be bland since he has the same singing style and sound for every song. This song, however, is sung differently. I can hear his delicate singing style. I think he put a lot of effort into make this song sound wonderful.

My favorite lyrics from the song lie in the major chorus hook, which is:

你是我日,是我夜,是一生冀待 (You are my day, are my night, are [my] one lifetime[‘s] hope)
相關我人生的所有未來 (Related [to] my lifetime of all future [all of my future lifetime]

If the person means everything to me, then that person is my day and night. Ideally, I would be thinking of that person all day and all lifetime long.

I’m not going to lie. Translating this song was a bit difficult for me. I really hope the lyrics are accurate. I did my best. In the true Wehaiyo! style, I tried to translate the lyrics as close to the actual meaning as much as possible so that the actual meaning is translated into English, which is why the lyrics are not in smooth English. I also added put my editor notes in brackets. If I find another website that posts the English translations of the lyrics, I will post it here, but for now, enjoy my version.

If you are looking for simplified Chinese character lyrics, visit http://baike.baidu.com/view/6303197.htm.


Isn't it funny that actress Ada Choi  蔡少芬 is the lead in this video?
Because usually unknown actors are featured in music videos.

你是我的日與夜 (You Are My Night and Day)

Lyricist/作詞:林振強
Composer/作曲:柳重言
Arranger/編曲:Alex San

晨早當我醒來眼睜開 ([At] Dawn, while I wake up come [come to wake up],  [my] eyes open [up])
仍可感到如在好夢內 (Still can feel as if [I’m] in [a] good dream inside [inside a good dream])
差些不敢相信有你在旁 (Slightly less [I, to a lesser degree,] don’t dare to believe there is you alongside [me])
終於知今世因可來 (At least [I] know [in] this life, [the) reason [you] can come]

如果這個心靈打得開 (If this internal spirit strike allow open [can be opened up]
能邀請全人類進入內 (Can invite the whole [all of] mankind to enter inside)
參觀嘉賓必見過去未來 (touring guests will surely see the past [and] future)
年月內是你在 (Days of [my] life within is you [who is] present [Within the days of my life, you are present]

靈魂由前世已經相逢([Your] Soul from [the] last incarnation, [I] already met)
我彷彿相識你數千載 (I seemingly [got] acquainted [with] you [for a] count [of] thousand years)
即使我可能贏得每個比賽 (Even if I can win every competition)
我也空空 若你不曾來 (I also [feel] empty, Suppose you cannot come)

CHORUS:

你是我日是我夜是一生冀待 (You are my day, are my night, are [my] one lifetime[‘s] hope)
相關我人生的所有未來 (Related [to] my lifetime of all future [all of my future lifetime]
你是我日是我夜(You are my day, are my night)
在今生以內 (In this lifetime within [Within this lifetime])
不管如何更改 (No matter how [it’s] altered)
仍離不開oh... (Still inseparable, Oh…)

只想再說一聲 (Only want to speak one sound [say something])
任遇著幾多風幾多雨 (No matter encounter how much wind, how much rain [No matter how much wind, how much rain we encounter – how many hardships we encounter])
你我的雙臂內(You, I, [our] double arms within [within our arms]
並存著對方什麼狀況 (Co-existing counterparts, [in] what[ever] state)
清早到夜半都把你愛 (Daybreak to midnight, all, [I’ll] grasp you[r] love)

END CHORUS

黃昏當我歸來你好嗎 ([During] Nightfall, at the time I return come [come back]: How are you?
重歸二人營造天地內 (Furthermore [by] return[ing], two people construct [the] world within)
開心不開心 向彼此道來 (Happy [or] not happy: towards each other, [the] way [will] come)
一起把溫暖找回來 (Together [we’ll] contain [the] warmth to find return come [the way back])

誰可比你一人更精彩 (Who [is] comparable [to] you, [the] one person, [who is] even more brilliant)
誰肯把我融入生命內 (Who [is] willing to [allow me] to blend [into] life within)
高高低低 不理天陰或晴 (High-high, low-low, pay no attention to cloudy or clear [weather])
誰亦願共我在 (Someone [is] also willing together [with me] exist [Someone is also willing to exist together with me])

靈魂由前世已經相逢 ([Your] Soul from [the] last incarnation, [I] already met)
我彷彿相識你數千載 (I seemingly [got] acquainted [with] you [for a] count [of] thousand years)
即使我可能贏得每個比賽 (Even if I can win every competition)
我也空空 若你不曾來 (I [feel] also empty, Suppose you cannot come)

CHORUS




Credits:

I did not find a location online where you can buy Steven Ma's CD. If I find one, I will list it here!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Update cookies preferences